A staple powerlifting movement, the Bench Press, is a great at developing chest strength. However CrossFit tends to favour overhead rather than bench pressing, most likely due to the carry over of overhead work into Olympic Lifting, but possibly also due to the potential for developing bad posture and tight shoulders from doing too much bench work. With the high degree of mobility required in CrossFit skills such as Olympic Lifting and gymnastics, this could be counter productive. So just make sure you balance any Bench work with plenty of posterior chain work.
Points Of Performance
- Grip bar with hands positioned slightly wider than shoulder-width
- Begin with arms extended, bar over the chest
- Shoulders remain in contact with the bench
- Pull elbows down moving closer to the side of the hips
- Bar lowers to bottom of the chest
- Forearms remain vertical
- Complete at full arm extension.