Just like with the barbell variation of this movement, you can make it simple by considering each of the individual words in this rather lengthy movement name!
- Dumbbell (not barbell)
- Hang – starting from above the ground (usually just above the knee)
- Power – don’t have to drop into a full squat position
- Clean (differentiates it from the Snatch, the other Olympic Weightlifting movement).
Points Of Performance
- Stand on feet with hip-width apart
- Grip the center of the dumbbells
- Dumbbells start on the ground at the outer sides of both feet
- Shoulders over or slightly in front of the dumbbells at set-up
- Lumbar curve maintained
- Hips and shoulders rise at the same rate
- Hips extend rapidly
- Heels down until hips and legs extend
- Shoulders shrug, followed by a pull under with the arms
- Dumbbells are received in a partial squat position
- Complete at full hip and knee extension with the dumbbells on the shoulders.